The Maltese bichon mix is one of Spain’s most popular dog breeds. You have surely noticed in recent months that there are more and more very cheerful and friendly little white dogs on the street: this dog is none other than.
- The Maltese are one of the most talked about dog breeds lately, and there are more than justified reasons why this is the case.
- It is a dog that does not lose its hair, ideal for people with allergies, with a happy, close and affectionate character.
- It is small in size, ideal for living in places with limited space, easy to maintain, and stands out above all for a spectacular coat of White hair, long and silky, sometimes reaching the ground.
- If you want to know all the details about this Maltese bichon mix dog breed, keep reading.
How is the Maltese Bichon Mix?
- As we mentioned earlier, the Bichon Maltese does not lack arguments to be part of the breeds of the moment.
- If we talk about physical characteristics, find a small dog who, according to breed standards, should not reach 25 cm in height or 4 kg in weight.
- With these physical characteristics, it is framed within the breeds of miniature dog mix, being perfect as a roommate or for homes with little space.
- It is a small and compact dog, with a long trunk much larger than its legs, which gives it a very characteristic and elegant walking movement with short steps.
- It is white except for the pads, lips, nails, and nose, which are black.
- On the other hand, if we talk about his character, We can only say positive things: he is a very good dog. Kind, affectionate and close, who likes to be around people and likes human treatment but also needs his space and moments of solitude, so he is not a heavy dog who requires excessive attention.
- It’s a friendly dog who gets along very well with children, perfect for family living.
- They are also quite intelligent, so if trained properly as a puppy, they are usually fairly obedient dog that does not cause problems.
- He is playful, and you can often see him playing with dog toys or resting peacefully on his dog bed.
Maltese Bichon Mix Hair
The characteristic that stands out the most in its physiognomy is the hair.
It is long, smooth, silky, and completely white, which means that different haircuts are usually done, the most common and famous being the long-haired Maltese, who are always taken in beauty contests and exhibitions. , reaching to graze the ground and giving the sensation that they are floating more than they are walking.
The only downside is that the Maltese hair requires minimal periodic maintenance, although it doesn’t require excessive dedication.
Health and Life Expectancy of Maltese Bichon Mix
Maltese is a healthy and strong dog that generally does not usually cause health problems.
You will likely see the fur around the eyes appear reddish, but this is common in white-coated dogs and can be easily fixed.
Only her hair is the aspect that needs a bit more attention and maintenance.
There is no characteristic genetic disease of the breed. If it is well fed, vaccinated, and wormed, it generally does not have health problems.
Because it is a healthy dog and its small size (small dogs always have a longer life expectancy), we can say that its life expectancy is between 12 and 15 years, and it can even reach 17 or 18 years old. , so it is a long-life dog.
Ideal for allergy sufferers
Interestingly, despite having such long hair, this is a breed of dog called “hypoallergenic” because don’t lose hair or does it in small quantities.
Dogs usually have multiple layers of hair, but the Maltese have no undercoat, which is why they hardly shed.
This has two big advantages:
- On the one hand, it is perfect for people allergic to dog hair because it will be much easier to live with them.
- On the other hand, we will save ourselves all the inconveniences related to the sofas, the beds, and the floor of the house being full of hair from our pets.
Some Curious facts about the Maltese Bichon Mix
- Although it is a small dog and a priori, the last thing we imagine is that it will serve as our defense.
- It is a dog with a very developed protective instinct and is on permanent alert.
- So it will warn us before anyone else of any noise or strange situation, being extremely useful as a “dog alarm.”
- Due to its name, it is common to think that it originated in Malta, but this is not the case: its origin is not known exactly. It is known that it is a Mediterranean breed, and the word Maltese derives from the Latin word “malat,” which means port.
- An anecdote: there was a Maltese millionaire since his extravagant owner left him as a legacy no more and no less than 12 million euros.
- It is a breed of tradition, one of the oldest documented, and with over 2,000 years of antiquity, it is one of the oldest dog breeds.
- The Maltese is an elegant and distinguished dog that has always been related to royalty, the nobility, and the upper social classes. It was a dog linked to kings and emperors. It has always been a very popular breed.
- Many famous people have chosen a Maltese puppy as a pet nationally and internationally: Ana de Armas, Sara Carbonero, Marylin Monroe, Susan Sarandon, and Miley Cirus.
Now you end up falling in love with this adorable breed of dog
Maltese Bichon Mix FAQ
How big will a Maltese Bichon mix get?
Maltese Bichon mixes are a popular crossbreed because they retain the best qualities of both parent breeds. They are small, hypoallergenic, and have a sweet temperament. They make excellent companion animals for people who live in apartments or have allergies.
How much is a Maltese Bichon?
A Maltese Bichon can cost anywhere from $500 to $1,500, depending on the breeder.
Maltese Bichons are a popular breed of dog; therefore, there is a lot of competition among breeders to sell these dogs. As a result, there is quite a range in prices for Maltese Bichons. The cheapest you’ll find is around $500, but the most expensive ones can go upwards of $1,500.
It’s essential to research when looking for a breeder and ensure you’re getting a healthy dog from a reputable source. Puppy mills are known for selling unhealthy dogs at low prices, so it’s always best to steer
Does a Bichon Maltese shed?
All dogs shed to some degree, but the Bichon Maltese is a breed that sheds very little. That said, no dog is 100% non-shedding, and even the breeds that shed the least will lose some hair.
The key to minimizing shedding is regular brushing and bathing and keeping your dog’s coat healthy and free of mats.
What is the best breed to mix with a Maltese?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best breed to mix with a Maltese may vary depending on the individual dog’s personality and preferences. Some people might recommend mixing a Maltese with another small breed like a Yorkie or a Chihuahua, while others might suggest larger breeds like Golden Retrievers or Labs.
Ultimately, it’s essential to choose a dog that will get along well with your Maltese and that you can provide a good home for.
Do Maltese dogs bark a lot?
Maltese dogs can be prone to barking, especially if they’re not given enough exercise or are left alone for long periods.
A bored or lonely dog is often noisy, so it’s essential to make sure your Maltese has plenty of opportunities to run and play outdoors, as well as plenty of toys and chew bones to keep him occupied when you’re not home. Consider enrolling him in a doggy daycare or hiring a pet sitter to take him for daily walks.
Are Maltese good house dogs?
Yes, Maltese are good house dogs. They are small in size and have a low-shedding coat, which makes them ideal for people with allergies. They are also very playful and enjoy spending time with their families. However, they require a lot of attention and must be groomed regularly.