Presa Dog name derives from the characteristics possessed by certain breeds of dogs that allow them to meet the requirements necessary to be used in hunting various types of animals.
Animals, especially larger ones, such as boars and bears. Therefore, these presa dogs are not necessarily of a specific breed, as there can be many that have physical characteristics that make them so-called.
For example, they are dogs with highly developed muscles and strong jaws with which they can attack and immobilize their prey without any difficulty.
Most of them were dogs formerly used, above all, in cattle-herding tasks. In this sense, they greatly facilitated the work of the shepherds.
- All big and tall dogs have a natural hunting instinct called prey.
- This instinct naturally triggers a pursuit to catch up with other moving or fleeing animals.
- When they manage to catch their target, they manage to keep the jaw firmly anchored.
- In this way, any dog with a large physiognomy, very developed and firm muscles, and a very muscular and short neck can be defined as a bulldog.
- They can even be used as guards or self-defense dogs.
- Generally, these hunting dogs tend to attack the necks of other animals they want to catch.
- Indeed, they see this part of the body as a weak and vulnerable point for their prey, which allows them to have total control of the situation, preventing it from easily escaping.
- The neck provides a better grip than any other area.
About Presas Dog
Much has been speculated that presas dog also attacks people on their necks.
But the neck of humans for this class of animals does not represent a vulnerable point of attack like that of other species.
So it’s a myth because the height difference is usually much more complicated.
Of course, the possibility of attacking other alternative areas more accessible to them, such as the lower limbs, and the legs, is not excluded.
An example of this focused on an animal attack is the Bulldog hound, which was previously used to catch and dominate bulls, holding them by the paws and muzzle, providing a spectacle to those who saw it in action.
History of Presas Dog
- Many ancient dogs considered presa dogs are descendants of the Molossian, among which are, for example, the old English Bulldog (which is not the one we know today). Still, the Spanish bulldogs have already disappeared; and these gave birth to the Alano.
- Some breeds currently descending from the Molossian are the Dogo Argentino, American Bulldog, Rottweiler, Fila Brasileiro, Perro Villano, and Presa Canario.
- Similarly, Asian dogs that can include in this family are the Alabai or the Central Asian Shepherd.
- Other dogs are pit bull and the bull terrier, the Pitbull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier (also known as the Amstaff), or the Staffordshire Bullterrier.
- These breeds possess great strength.
- As for their size is not as tall as other breeds; they are very muscular and have a more compact volume.
- Their heads are solid with a large jaws.
- The latter were used for their great capacity and efficiency for hunting.
General Characteristics of Presas Dog
The main traits or characteristics considered necessary to classify a dog as a presa dog are as follows.
- Highly developed and strong jaws maintain adequate joint pressure between bones and muscles.
- A highly developed search and hunting instinct.
- Great ability to apply a bite to the animal they are to hunt and can resist escape attempts.
- They are very persistent, as they usually do not give up and continue to hunt until they have achieved the goal of subduing the animal they are pursuing.
- They are very courageous dogs who are not afraid to launch themselves against their prey, whether it is stronger or bigger than them.
- His build is regularly bulky due to the high proportion of muscle, and large and strong bones, giving him an appearance of solidity and robustness.
- They have big heads.
Presas Dog Training
- Training and training bulldogs are essential when it comes to shaping their behavior and character.
- Good training will teach the dog what limits to respect and what behaviors are allowed in the environment in which he will live.
- Therefore, it is the responsibility of the breeder and the adopter to provide the necessary and adequate education to properly take advantage of the potential that the dog can offer.
- Presa dogs have certain characteristics that make them special in performing specific tasks, such as hunting and controlling the animals they catch.
- It is important to add that this does not necessarily mean that they are “killers” or are ready to attack constantly.
- This can be regulated and controlled by scrupulous training and education in the right environment.
- This type of dog indeed has quite a strong physical potential with great hunting abilities.
- In this sense, it is important to be informed before and during the dog selection process.
- With training, they will mirror the behavior derived from whatever they learn.
Presas Dog Breeds
Although they are considered dogs of prey, they possess certain qualities that make them excellent life companions for many people.
Of course, as mentioned before, always take care of their upbringing from the start so they can socialize in the best possible way and prevent their instincts from negatively affecting them.
Some of the breeds are:
- The Rottweiler is one of the strongest dog breeds in the world, so much so that it weighs over fifty pounds. A big dog, either.
- This breed does not gain confidence so quickly with strangers, but once it has won their affection, it proves to be an excellent playful, and affectionate companion.
American Staffordshire Terrier
- This breed belongs to the Terrier family, and although its size can cause it to weigh more than fifteen pounds, its stature is rather small.
- They have courageous and tenacious characters, although they are not very sociable so they can develop an aggressive attitude.
- If not well trained, they can be dangerous and temperamental, especially when they come into contact with other dogs.
American Pit Bull Terrier
- It is a race with great strength and musculature, leading it to exceed 30 kilos.
- Although it is a dog with a high potential for aggression, it is a companion dog that easily adapts to family life while maintaining excellent relations with the family’s children.
- This breed is intended for dog fighting.
- It was created in Argentina from the eventual combination of various races that allowed it to increase its greed.
- A firm jaw characterizes it with great power and strength, which makes them extremely dangerous when deciding to apply a bite.
- However, they are not an aggressive breed by nature and can be very good family companions and affectionate with others.
- He is a good friend to children; they need a good dose of games or walks to control their energy.
Mastiff of Bordeaux
- They are a breed of giants as they can weigh up to sixty-five pounds which do not detract from their alluring and charming looks.
- However, they are delicate animals in character, as they become very jealous of strangers and outside the family.
- Although the Doberman is not classified as a dangerous dog in most countries, it is considered a dog of prey.
- It is a breed with muscular and large specimens, easily reaching forty-five kilos in adulthood.
- However, he is a very affectionate and friendly dog with those around him.
- They have a very sharp intelligence that allows them to identify and be aware of their surroundings, making them ideal for guard duty and guarding property.
- He is a dog loyal to his family.
- Even though they are dogs with great physical strength, they are very friendly and very rarely can show aggression.
- They are very active dogs, and that is why they need to be constantly on the move to drain all their energy.
- They like to run and are very smart.
- This breed, originally from the Canary Islands, comprises large, powerful, and resistant specimens.
- They are natural symbols of the Canary Islands according to the law of the government of these islands.
- They are very calm, balanced dogs, very docile, and loyal to their adopter and the family they live with, although they can become very protective.
- This breed has broad, strong bones, a deep chest, and a powerful back.
- Its head is square-shaped with V-shaped ears, usually black or darker than the rest of the skin.
- These dogs have a deep gaze which is one of their main characteristics.
- Their short, colorful coat ranges from sable to red and even brindle.
- It is generally used as a guard dog because it is a very intelligent and discreet breed.
- Therefore, it is very effective and ideal for protection or care.
- It is not a dog that barks a lot and does not require a lot of physical activity, so it is ideal for the house.
- This breed of dog has been classified as potentially dangerous, leading most people to believe that they are naturally aggressive.
- However, despite a highly developed prey instinct, this breed is not a killing machine, as many point out.
- The Pitbull is a breed that developed in the United States, although its origins are in England, with the Staffordshire Terrier as its direct ancestor.
- Their character is very emotionally stable, making them a dog of great tolerance towards people and even the smallest of the house.
- They are reclusive with strangers, especially if they see them as a threat or danger to their adopters.
- And with other dogs, they can become dominant.
Dangers and Necessary Care for Presas Dog
- Presa dogs require relatively long training and training to achieve a good balance in socialization.
- For this reason, they must begin their training early to interact correctly with humans, thus reducing the risks and dangers of a possible attack.
- Even so, Bulldogs generally develop a very healthy and close relationship with the humans they live with.
The big key is in your education early with patience, dedication, and, of course, lots of love.
Only in this way will the dog learn the minimum rules of coexistence and recognize its place in the family.